Day 27 {the peas}

Here's my beautiful Owen this morning at breakfast with the very cool Christmas present the boys got from Jarret & Sara. They got them an MP3 player and loaded their favourite songs on it. Every morning when he wakes up and every night when he goes to bed he looks up at me with the same hopeful little eyes and says "Peas?!" Owen's favourite song is "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas.

When you turn the song on for him, his smile can light up a room. When the song stops, plug your ears because he is not happy. In between, he clutches it to his ear and sways back and forth. It's not out of the ordinary to hear music coming from the boys' room in the middle of the night. Owen will often roll over, turn the music on and then fall back asleep. It's also hilarious to see "Sexy Bitch (clean version)" scroll across the screen lol.



Tonight, Ethan got to carry the MP3 player upstairs and take it to bed. Owen was very distraught so Ethan gave it to him and gave him a kiss. It's amazing to watch them because although I am told there is no birth order with twins, I think Ethan is very much the big brother of the two. He makes Owen happy by holding his hand in the van and lets him keep the MP3 player in his crib every night. Unfortunately in between they beat the crap out of each other (case in point the scar you can see on Owen's nose. Ethan threw a toy at him the other day and almost broke his nose) so this whole protective brother thing is a bit hit and miss.

Timelessmoment asked about my camera and settings so here is a bit of info for those who are interested. I am a Canon girl and shoot with a Canon 30D DSLR. I have had it for three years. I have three lenses - an 18-55, a fixed 50 mm 1.8 lens (a must have for Canon DSLR owners as it is only $119, great in low light and you can even leave it outside in the rain for two days and it will still work...) and the lens I shoot with 98% of the time - a Sigma 17-70.

As far as settings go, I shoot in P mode quite a bit and the rest of the time I shoot in aperture priority (AV) mode. Unless I have something specific in mind like sparklers, I don't shoot in manual. My children are so fast that I don't have the time to sit and think and figure out my settings so I go the auto route or I set my camera with a wide aperture and go. I would rather have the camera make the decisions for me than make them myself, get rushed, choose the wrong settings and miss the shot. With that being said, I still feel very strongly that you need to know your camera. Know what it's capable of. Know how it works. Learn your metering modes. Don't be afraid to crank your ISO. Understand the fundamentals of shutter speed and aperture and how they work together. But on the other hand, don't get hung up on the technicalities and have fun. Get lots of practice and always, always, always SHOOT IN RAW. That's my challenge for everyone - shoot in RAW mode for one month and see how you like it. I guarantee you will never go back to JPEG mode.

I hope this helps! Thanks for looking!

Comments

Andrea said…
Thanks Jen, you got all my boys hooked on peas as well. Xander walks around with his Ipod singing it. Dylan has it on his Mp3 player and Ty starts dancing around when he hears it! Just wait till the boys start asking for an Ipod instead of a kids one! LOL Lucky for Xander Bill upgraded and he got the old one :)